Your Financial Future:
COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATE (Part-time)
The Women's Institure for a Secure Retirement (WISER) seeks a part-communications associate for its Washington DC office.
WISER is a non-profit organization that works to help women, educators and policymakers understand the important issues surrounding women's retirement income, including Social Security, divorce, pay equity, pensions, savings and investments, home-ownership, and long-term care. As the only organization to focus exclusively on the unique financial challenges that women face, WISER seeks to improve opportunities for all women to secure adequate retirement income.
WISER's Communications Associate works closely with all members of the WISER staff to help carry out the mission and day-to-day operation of the organization. The Communications Associate's primary responsibilities include managing WISER's website and social media, as well as assisting with the writing, editing and design of WISER's materials.
This position requires an ability to work 3 days a week (or a total of 24 hours) during WISER's regular business hours of 9:00am-5:00pm, Mondays-Fridays. Position is available immediately and can continue indefinitely pending satisfactory performance. This position is ideal for individuals looking for flexible, part-time work, including students.
The position duties and responsibilities listed below describe the general nature and scope of work. Other responsibilities, duties, and skills may be required and assigned, as needed.
• Update and write content for WISER's website, social media, e-newsletters, and blog.
• Track data from each of these platforms.
• Serve as WISER's primary website and social media administrator.
• Assist with the writing, editing and design of WISER fact sheets and publications.
• Provide administrative support as needed, including but not limited to: answering phone calls, assisting with email inquiries, filling publications orders, and assisting with office newsletter and other mailings.
• Provide basic research support.
• Serve as a representative of WISER at meetings and events, as needed.
• Follow news, current events and policy initiatives related to WISER's mission.
• Track press mentions of WISER's information and events.
• Position also offers opportunities for additional writing assignments for WISER publications and reports.
• Excellent writing, editing and communication skills.
• Experience working with social media tools and website administration.
• Ability to take initiative and work independently to manage deadlines and projects.
• Thorough attention to detail and highly organized.
• Basic knowledge of, or demonstrated interest in working on issues and policies relating to personal finance and retirement planning, specifically as they pertain to women in the U.S.
• Nonprofit work experience a plus.
• Knowledge of Adobe InDesign a plus.
• Bachelor's Degree preferred, but experience also considered.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To perform this job successfully, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position. Daily movements include sitting; standing; operating computers and other office equipment; moving about the office; and attending onsite and offsite meetings. Travel outside the DC area will be likely at times. The employee must be able to communicate via email and verbally via telephone. The employee must occasionally transport up to 25 pounds.
Salary and BenefitsPosition will pay an hourly rate starting at a minimum of $18/hour and based on experience. WMATA transportation stipend provided.
Send a cover letter, resume, brief writing sample (preferably writing samples related to the position; blogs, newsletter articles, etc.) to:
Director of Programs
Please include "WISER Communications Associate" in the email subject line.
Please also include in your cover letter which days of the week/hours you are available to work.
We apologize that we are unable to respond to applications unless a candidate is being considered for an interview.
WISER is an equal opportunity employer.