Your Financial Future:
Divorce & Widowhood
Both divorce and widowhood can be extremely emotional and often times unexpected events in a woman's life. And the difficulties are often further compounded by the practical issues that arise during these transitional periods. WISER has developed various resources to help make this time a bit less stressful and to help you make smart and informed financial decisions.
Divorce and Retirement:
WISER, in conjunction with the Heinz Family Foundation, released What Women Need to Know About Retirement, a free e-book available for PDF download. Download Chapter 7, which deals exclusively with the process of becoming a widow: When the Unthinkable Happens.
Further information on Social Security benefits for Widows:
Contact the Social Security Administration or call them at 800-772-1213, and ask if you are eligible for:
- survivor benefits
- surviving child benefits
- lump sum death payment
- black lung benefit, and/or
- Medicare benefits
Read WISER's information on Social Security
Seven Life-Defining Financial Decisions is a joint project of WISER and the Actuarial Foundation.
Download Chapter 3: Marriage and Family
For more helpful resources on Divorce and Widowhood, click here.
[back to top]
- Widowhood: Why Women Need to Talk About This Issue
- Spousal Protections in Pensions and Other Retirement Plans
- 7 Key Questions You Need to Ask BEFORE Your Divorce is Finalized
- IRAs and Divorce
- Social Security and Divorce: What You Need to Know
- Credit and Divorce
- 10 Ways to Avoid Losing the Pension During a Divorce
- Widows and Widowhood
- Widow's Checklist
- Rights of Surviving Spouses
- Pensions and Divorce